Ask a Physical Therapist


What can be done for runner’s knee?

“Runner’s Knee is a broad term for pain around the knee cap. It can result from overuse injury (performing the same motion repeatedly); trauma to the knee such as falling on it; weakness; or other mechanical dysfunction from the hip, knee, and/or the ankle. It could also be a combination of any the above. If the cause is unknown, I would recommend an evaluation by a doctor and/or consult a physical therapist.

It is important to make sure you have good core control, hip strength, quad strength, hamstring strength, and ankle strength. It is also important to make sure the muscles that cross the knee joint are flexible such as the hamstrings, quads, and calf muscles. Over-tight muscles of the hip can also cause improper mechanics of the leg as it hits the ground.  Therefore, proper stretching of the hips would be recommended. As with any trauma or overuse injury, RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) is recommended until the inflammation is under control.  If physical therapy is recommended, an individual stretching and strengthening program will be put together, specific for that individual’s needs.  Other treatment that could be helpful include; kinesiotaping, McConnell taping, the Graston Technique, electrical stimulation for pain or muscle contraction, and ultrasound,” Kelly McCarthy, PT, DPT Advanced Physical Therapy Center – Davison.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s